D13777: KMessageWidget : revert to using highlight colour for Information style (WIP)

René J.V. Bertin noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jul 3 16:37:41 BST 2018

rjvbb added a comment.

  Seems my reply per email went AWOL:

  This is a work-in-progress ticket, but I can change the title because it is indeed not just about reverting a regression.

  > That just doesn't look good, sorry.

  Again, that's an argument one should avoid. It's too subjective. I myself find it looks much better (I'm biased against everything Breeze, sorry) and easier on the eyes because I prefer almost monochromatic palettes.

  Yes, I said that the current implementation looks too gaudy and that's subjective too. What I think I *can* claim is that using a background colour that comes from the theme's own background colours makes message widgets fit much better within the theme's design. And of course it avoids violating a basic, common-sensical and straightforward instruction from KColorScheme: don't use foreground colours for background purposes. See also my remark below about impaired colour vision.

  I have no readability problems with Breeze Dark (not any more than with dark themes in general). It should be possible to lighten or darken the text colour depending on contrast, to achieve a stronger contrast. Not very easy though due to (perceived) colour contrast effects. For instance:

  F6006588: image.png <https://phabricator.kde.org/F6006588>

  This does remind me of the fact that I have normal colour vision but a significant part of the population has impaired colour vision. It's tricky to start mixing colours like the original code does, and guarantee that the resulting colour pair can be distinguished sufficiently well by everyone. Simple brightening/darkening should be safer but not 100% so either, probably. In short, themes designed for specific visual shortcomings should continue to work better if you only use colours from those themes, and for their intended purposes.

  Re: splitting:
  If the KThemeSettings class looks more or less like what you had in mind and something that can go in quickly I'll split that off and then we can take things from there.

REPOSITORY
  R236 KWidgetsAddons