D13777: KMessageWidget : revert to using highlight colour for Information style (WIP)

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Jul 3 17:52:41 BST 2018

ngraham added a comment.

  In D13777#286557 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D13777#286557>, @rjvbb wrote:

  > > That just doesn't look good, sorry.
  >
  > Again, that's an argument one should avoid. It's too subjective. I myself find it looks much better (I'm biased against everything Breeze, sorry) and easier on the eyes because I prefer almost monochromatic palettes.

  If that were true, VDG couldn't exist. One of the major reasons why it does is so that people with recognized expertise in visual design can make design decisions and provide visual advice so that others who are better at back-end programming don't have to burden themselves with those tasks themselves. It's incumbent upon each of us to know our own limitations: just as more front-endy people whouldn't try to dictate implementation details, more back-endy people shouldn't question and fight against visual design decisions.

  I would argue that this is doubly true if you can acknowledge that you have a bias against the default appearance. If this is true, it's highly likely that any design changes you propose will (even unconsciously) represent a departure from the style that you don't like. If we accept those kinds of changes, the result is a jumbled mess of divergent styles rather than a cohesive whole--which is a worse outcome than a visual style that you don't like but is cohesive and consistent. As a Mac user, you're probably familiar with this principle because it's what Apple does very well. Not everybody loves the way it looks and feels, but it's at least consistent.

  I therefore once again recommend that you split this up into multiple patches so that we can separate the non-controversial elements (use colors from the theme) from the controversial ones (alter the concept behind the widget background color). The alternative is that the discussion in this patch goes in circles for days until everyone is exhausted and nothing is merged. Let's try to move forward with what we can agree on instead of arguing with one another and getting entrenched in our positions.

REPOSITORY
  R236 KWidgetsAddons