drkonqi commit #d713184156759c3e3f5d5db045b893d2676ff7b3

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 4 12:35:57 BST 2018

On Saturday August 04 2018 12:49:53 David Faure wrote:

>Exactly, so a wrong assert leads to an unwanted crash (in a debug build).
>
>> - non-debug builds will simply ignore the test
>
>Sure, as always. Doesn't mean an assert shouldn't be correct :-)

I can't judge here, but IMHO asserts are often used as a sort of lazy, quick and dirty way to (not...) deal with situations that rarely occur. And then you forget about them, until someone does run into the situation with a release build which starts crashing in a seemingly unrelated location...

>> (and apparently, crash on launch).
>
>I don't think so, the crash was in debug mode (= the assert).

I don't think so either, but I can't say I have *never* seen DrKonqi crash.

Oh well, sorry for the noise...

R.