KTitleWidget and the native Mac style

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 12:53:15 UTC 2017

René J.V. Bertin wrote:

> style. I think I figured out the how/where once but can't seem to find the
> info anymore so I'd appreciate a pointer.

Found it.

> FWIW, drawing this kind of label in a frame and/or with a different background
> colour isn't appropriate for the native Macintosh style.

And this is where we have a problem if you're adamant about being as much in
line with native look-and-feel as possible, as I know some KDE devs are.

I haven't found a single example of a "native" Mac application that uses
comparable page/dialog titles rendered with a bigger font and in a frame with a
different background colour.

I myself don't really care one way or another, if anything I find it more
important that the user has a choice at some level. Ideally this would go
through the widget style (as Breeze allows and QtCurve probably too) but the
Macintosh style is not configurable and I don't think Qt would consider adding
the rather complex patch required to render KTitleWidgets appropriately.

That leaves us with the only option of modifying the KTitleWidget code. I'll
submit a patch for review that adds a runtime check of the widget style in use
but if anyone has a better idea I wouldn't mind hearing it and avoiding
unnecessary work.

R.