KTitleWidget and the native Mac style

Kevin Funk kfunk at kde.org
Tue Jul 4 13:49:28 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 4 July 2017 14:53:15 CEST René J. V. Bertin wrote:
> René J.V. Bertin wrote:
> > style. I think I figured out the how/where once but can't seem to find the
> > info anymore so I'd appreciate a pointer.
>
> Found it.
>
> > FWIW, drawing this kind of label in a frame and/or with a different
> > background colour isn't appropriate for the native Macintosh style.
>
> And this is where we have a problem if you're adamant about being as much in
> line with native look-and-feel as possible, as I know some KDE devs are.
>
> I haven't found a single example of a "native" Mac application that uses
> comparable page/dialog titles rendered with a bigger font and in a frame
> with a different background colour.
>
> I myself don't really care one way or another, if anything I find it more
> important that the user has a choice at some level. Ideally this would go
> through the widget style (as Breeze allows and QtCurve probably too) but the
> Macintosh style is not configurable and I don't think Qt would consider
> adding the rather complex patch required to render KTitleWidgets
> appropriately.
>
> That leaves us with the only option of modifying the KTitleWidget code.

With regards to the "Widget Style and Behaviour" label in the `kcmshell5
style` dialog: I don't find that particularly attracting under Breeze as well.

It's too "bulky" for my taste.

CC'ing Sebas, who've reworked the widget to look like this in

commit 510236aa9cea6bae48e548b42b5b721195bed121
Author: Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org>
Date:   Sat May 24 01:36:51 2014 +0200

    Change titlewidget from bold to increased font size

    This patch removes the bold weight from KTitleWidget and makes the text
    a bit bigger, improving focus. This is more in line with common
    expectations of a title, and it's more in line with Plasma 5's
    typography.

Maybe we can find a solution that works well under both styles?

PS: I've no incentive for getting this fixed, just wanted to add my 2c and
connect people.

Cheers,
Kevin