[Differential] [Commented On] D4663: Allow setting the timeout value.

Albert Vaca Cintora noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Feb 21 23:33:39 UTC 2017

albertvaka added a comment.

  I agree that just rising the timeout is suboptimal but I still like it better than a modal dialog... Actually, notifications were invented as a way to avoid harassing the user with modal dialogs when apps need attention.

  Apart from that, and even if we end up implementing this in a diferent way for KDE Connect, I don't think that KNotification as a framework should hide this feature from the developer. Regardless of the notification server implementation, the underlying protocol that KNotification exposes does allow defining a timeout.

  And, about SNIs... It's true that they have a title, text and actions like notifications. But they also happen to be represented in every major desktop (eg: Windows, MacOS, Gnome, Unity and Plasma) as an icon in the system tray that you have to right click to access a context menu with the actions (unlike notifications). Are you sure that's what Android does?

  Gnome implements something much more similar to the notification systems nowadays present in Android and iOS (and even Windows and MacOS, which are trying to deprecate their system tray icons), and they do that using the notifications cross-desktop standard. So I wouldn't criticize Gnome for doing their own thing here.

REPOSITORY
  R289 KNotifications

EMAIL PREFERENCES