[Differential] [Commented On] D4663: Allow setting the timeout value.

Thomas Pfeiffer noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Feb 22 00:13:28 UTC 2017

colomar added a comment.

  I agree that what Android does makes a lot of sense. What they have is

  - a permanent icon in the top bar for each application that still has an open notification - basically an SNI, minus the direct interactivity (which makes sense given that tiny icons are not much fun to interact with on a touchscreen)
  - a drawer that shows all notifications that are still valid (plus the same on the lockscreen if enabled)

  I have not seen a better notification system anywhere so far, to be honest. It would make perfect sense for me if Plasma did exactly the same, but we'd still need to change a couple of things for that to work:

  - We'd need a drawer to show all notifications that are still valid (similar to the notification history that we had in Plasma 4, but with some very important differences, see below)
  - We'd need to automatically create an SNI for every application that sends a notification
  - Notifications would need to be grouped by application (the notification drawer on iOS shows what a horrible mess you get if you don't do that)
  - Notifications would need to be cleaned up by applications when no longer needed (this would need a new API for applications)

  This would be perfect, but it would need a whole lot of work from both the desktop environment and the application side.

  As long as we can't get there, I agree with Martin that an SNI is a better solution than a permanently shown popup notification, as it attracts attention without covering anything on the screen.

REPOSITORY
  R289 KNotifications

EMAIL PREFERENCES