[Differential] [Commented On] D4663: Allow setting the timeout value.

Martin Klapetek noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Tue Feb 21 15:02:54 UTC 2017

mck182 added a comment.

  Well, I would argue that Android is using exactly indicators
  which we know as SNIs. It's the same thing - it's an icon in
  your top panel and when you pull the panel down, you see
  the title, text and available actions. This is _exactly_ what
  SNI does, it just so happens that on desktop the representation
  is always an icon with context menu. It has title, text and
  actions and is often accompanied by a popup notification.

  That said, I realize you want to target as broad userbase
  as possible, but if Gnome decides to not be cross-desktop
  compatible, well screw 'em, their fault. It bothers me that
  people always have to find alternate, many times sub-par
  solutions and the reason is "Gnome" that never wants to
  play along with about anything. But I digress.

  I still think having a notification sticked to the screen
  with indefinitely-high timeout is not the solution. If only
  for the unpredictability of servers. Given the user has to
  initiate the pairing and the user is then expected and required
  to complete the pairing, how about using some modal way
  to confirm the pairing? Like a popup dialog? I mean if the
  point of the interaction is to complete the pairing and if
  it's imperative that the pairing completes, then just put
  it in front of the user square and center to confirm. Raising
  the notification timeout for this to me is a workaround
  at best.

REPOSITORY
  R289 KNotifications

EMAIL PREFERENCES