opening dialogs using a "foreign" WId

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 09:40:57 UTC 2016

Martin Graesslin wrote:

> Sorry, we *are* the platform. If we extend the desktop shell to [...]

With all due respect, that sounds very wrong for software that's supposed to be
cross-platform. At the very least those desktop shell extensions should be
accessed via KF5 or Qt APIs designed to have potential sense on other platforms
too (QDesktopServices would be a prime candidate).

> AFAIK it depends on whether Kontact/KMail is running or not. If Kontact is not
> running it doesn't have a winId and KWin should stack below and deny focus to
> it given that the window is trying to steal focus.

That doesn't seem to make a lot of sense, even for sending email. That'd mean
that Kontact/KMail provides a WId with queued messages which is then handed off
to the email dispatcher so that it can provide a reference to a 3rd application
when it requests credentials from kwalletd? That would still be doable and
defendable if you presume that the dispatcher will only treat email queued by
compliant MUAs. The imap agent is in a different situation; it is supposed to be
able to run without a front-end.

AFAIC password request dialogs are an acceptable reason to steal focus if there
is no way to present the dialog in such a way that it cannot be missed without
receiving the keystrokes from an unsuspecting blind-typing user.