opening dialogs using a "foreign" WId

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jan 28 07:35:31 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 10:06:00 PM CET René J. V. Bertin wrote:
> Martin Graesslin wrote:
> > That depends on the Wayland compositor. In Plasma (KWin) we will certainly
> > make sure this works properly.
>
> I'd appreciate if that could be done in a way that makes sense on other
> platforms too...

Sorry, we *are* the platform. If we extend the desktop shell to ask for
passwords, that cannot be used in other platforms because there we don't
control the desktop shell.

> > But yes currently it most likely will open
> > somewhere behind just like Akonadi asking for KWallet opens behind on X11.
>
> Curiously password requests on behalf of the akonadi imap agent usually open
> in front on my kde4 system; more often than those of the email dispatcher
> in any case. Do those even get a WId btw?

AFAIK it depends on whether Kontact/KMail is running or not. If Kontact is not
running it doesn't have a winId and KWin should stack below and deny focus to
it given that the window is trying to steal focus.

Cheers
Martin