opening dialogs using a "foreign" WId

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Thu Jan 28 09:49:46 UTC 2016

On Thursday, January 28, 2016 10:40:57 AM CET René J. V. Bertin wrote:
> Martin Graesslin wrote:
> > Sorry, we *are* the platform. If we extend the desktop shell to [...]
>
> With all due respect, that sounds very wrong for software that's supposed to
> be cross-platform. At the very least those desktop shell extensions should
> be accessed via KF5 or Qt APIs designed to have potential sense on other
> platforms too (QDesktopServices would be a prime candidate).

On Wayland KWin/Plasma is the platform. The whole point of it is to be the
platform so I don't see how that is supposed to be "cross platform"?

I cannot design a platform specific API which is potentially cross-platform,
because I have no clue about those other platforms. How am I supposed to know
that the solution I come up with for KWin/Wayland can also be used on OSX,
Android, whatever. I don't think that's realistic to assume.

What we do is take the KF5 based software and integrate it into our platform.
That's the same as you are doing. You integrate KF5 based software into OSX.
The only difference is that we also have full control over the platform.

So far where we have done this we went through plugins which can be
implemented on each platform.

Cheers
Martin