Review Request 126895: Make KGlobalAccel dependency in KXmlGui optional

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Tue Jan 26 20:48:52 UTC 2016

On Tue, 26 Jan 2016, Andre Heinecke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 26 January 2016 20:47:34 Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
>> In the end, I decided to fork, instead of maintaining patches. That allowed
>> us to hack the app shortcut system, too. For other frameworks, I do
>> maintain patches.
>
> In my experience in KDE-Windows I call maintaining patches in the long term a
> fork. KDE-Windows has lots of examples of this. :-)

Yes... Well, some forks are forkier than others. This is my fork of xmlgui:

https://phabricator.kde.org/diffusion/KRITA/browse/master/libs/widgetutils/xmlgui/

And this is where my definitions and patches to the frameworks I use live:

https://phabricator.kde.org/diffusion/KRITA/browse/master/3rdparty/ext_frameworks/

> Can you point me to your Forks / Patches? I don't know how to find them. I
> don't see a branch in emerge or something.

Well, I don't use emerge. For all the deps, I have a cmake external project. I use
that on Linux, Windows and OSX for creating packages.

> You've probably already solved some other things I'm facing currently. :-)
>

> I think that we should try to push the KDE Community in a way that we don't
> need to fork / patch anymore for our needs. In my understanding the Frameworks
> effort was specifically done to make it easier just to grab some parts of KDE
> Libraries one might find useful without having to include the monolithic
> "kdelibs" overhead / dependencies. And if we beneficiaries of such an effort now
> end up forking things, the whole effort could be called a failure :-/

Well, yes... But I have an application to release, and I cannot spend too much time
explaining that, yes, every extra dependency is a costly burden.

>>> Let's see if my patches fare better. ConfigWidgets and IconThemes i find
>>> ok. :-)
>> Well, I didn't need those either. Because Krita has so many icons, some
>> Windows tools like sandboxie and some virus scanners complain, which meant
>> I basically _had_ to pack all icons in qrc files.
>
> So far we had not problems with that. We always have problems with "Virus
> scanners" but this is (i think) mostly because we contain lots of crypto
> algorithms that are also used by CryptoLocker Viruses.

:-) I have lots and lots of really computer-illiterate users. It's a totally different
group.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org