Review Request 126895: Make KGlobalAccel dependency in KXmlGui optiona

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Thu Jan 28 07:16:50 UTC 2016

On Wed, 26 Jan 2016, Andreas Hartmetz wrote:

> Here is something that is never beside the point:
> maintenance burden and continuous-integration-ability.
> ifdefs are somewhat bad for maintainability and really, really bad for a
> continuous integration systems's ability to detect relevant build
> breakage. I am repeating Martin's argument here with different words.

I understood Martin's argument. Which issue is more important: not having
different build configurations for easier development or not having users
for your library, that's up to the maintainer to decide.

Right now, we've had two attempts at reducing the number of dependencies
and one fork. That would seem to indicate that there is

a) user demand for the library
b) that the library, as is, is not optimally usable.

Now it's up to the library maintainer to decide where to go.

For me, personally, from a continuous-integration point of view where I
am trying to build nightly packages of Krita on Linux, Windows and OSX,
every extra dependency makes the process longer, complicates my build
environments and is a maintenance burden.

--
Boudewijn Rempt | http://www.krita.org, http://www.valdyas.org