setting default widgetStyle (and ColorScheme)

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon Nov 30 12:32:13 UTC 2015

On Monday, November 30, 2015 1:17:20 PM CET René J. V. Bertin wrote:
> Martin Graesslin wrote:
>
> Is this going to turn into another shouting match?

sorry what?

> > That's not the point! Any user can use whatever theme they want. The
> > question is whether we should default to our Plasma defaults on
> > non-Plasma. And the question to that can only be: NO!
>
> I'm not suggesting it should be the default, unless the USER CONFIGURES IT
> TO BE.
>
> > Given that: no, the framework integration plugin should not be used
> > anywhere except on Plasma.
>
> So, yes, it should be POSSIBLE to use that plugin. What's the point in
> disallowing it if it only requires minimal modifications?

what you put on review board is in my opinion not a minimal modification. That
are lots of ifdefs and each ifdef is a huge burden for the framework. It means
platform specific changes which cannot be tested properly. Each of these
changes make it more difficult for every other developer to work on that code
base.

Given that: we need to be extremely careful when we consider adding platform
specific code and need to evaluate very careful the advantages for it.

> Would there be a point in disallowing someone to run a full plasma session
> on a platform that allows it and that isn't Linux?

It's impossible to run a full plasma session on a platform that isn't Linux or
an X11/Wayland Unix. This is not something which in theory could be possible.
No it's not! No matter how much work is put into porting: it's impossible to
port Plasma to non Linux or an X11/Wayland Unix.

So there is no point discussing that. It will never be possible to use Plasma
on OSX or Windows as it's at least not possible to port KWin to these
platforms.

> I'd hope the answer to that is no, and
>
> > Then change the QStyle. There's an env variable to specify it.
>
> I already stated that that's not enough. Maybe I wasn't clear: using
> QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE or `-style XXX` changes the widget graphical appearance
> but does not apply font or palette settings.

I don't think we should add the ifdefs you proposed in the review request
because you don't like OSX default settings. We need to look a little bit
further than what our personal preferences are when we want to do changes
which affect all developers.

Cheers
Martin