setting default widgetStyle (and ColorScheme)

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 12:17:20 UTC 2015

Martin Graesslin wrote:

Is this going to turn into another shouting match?

> That's not the point! Any user can use whatever theme they want. The question
> is whether we should default to our Plasma defaults on non-Plasma. And the
> question to that can only be: NO!

I'm not suggesting it should be the default, unless the USER CONFIGURES IT TO
BE.

> Given that: no, the framework integration plugin should not be used anywhere
> except on Plasma.

So, yes, it should be POSSIBLE to use that plugin. What's the point in
disallowing it if it only requires minimal modifications?

Would there be a point in disallowing someone to run a full plasma session on a
platform that allows it and that isn't Linux?
I'd hope the answer to that is no, and

> Then change the QStyle. There's an env variable to specify it.

I already stated that that's not enough. Maybe I wasn't clear: using
QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE or `-style XXX` changes the widget graphical appearance but
does not apply font or palette settings. With this, you're still stuck with the
fugly appearance I mentioned earlier. It is even possible that we'd be running
into the same widget layout issues we've seen with the native OS X style under
KDE4.