setting default widgetStyle (and ColorScheme)

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 14:01:40 UTC 2015

Martin Graesslin wrote:

> what you put on review board is in my opinion not a minimal modification. That
> are lots of ifdefs and each ifdef is a huge burden for the framework. It means
> Given that: we need to be extremely careful when we consider adding platform
> specific code and need to evaluate very careful the advantages for it.

I won't argue that, and I'll repeat that I have no issues splicing the code into
a few dedicated files, moving the "ifdefs" to the CMake file.
It's what I ended up doing with the changes required for kdeinit5, but that
concerned a lot more ifdefs.

That'd put the maintenance burden on people who care about the code and the
platform on which it's supposed to function.

>> Would there be a point in disallowing someone to run a full plasma session
>> on a platform that allows it and that isn't Linux?
> So there is no point discussing that. It will never be possible to use Plasma
> on OSX or Windows as it's at least not possible to port KWin to these
> platforms.

"Never say never" mean anything to you?

Regardless, my remark was a purely rhetorical question (OS X is indeed not a
platform that currently allows to run a full Plasma session without severe
hacking). With all due respect, your reaction sadly supports an impression I
have been getting that I probably best leave unvoiced publicly...

So KF5/Plasma removed the possibility to use a window manager that's not KWin?

> I don't think we should add the ifdefs you proposed in the review request
> because you don't like OSX default settings. We need to look a little bit

It's not just I, and it's about just as much to do with the general princpiple
of allowing user choice (something *I* am -almost- religious about) and not
introducing regressions w.r.t. KDE4 .