Baloo Framework - License Exception

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon Jan 5 15:11:21 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 5, 2015 at 3:04 PM, Sebastian Kügler <sebas at kde.org> wrote:

> say
> > >
> > > "all

> > > I wouldn't call it shooting ourselves in the foot (since we know well
> > > about
> > > its consequences), but yes, I think it's worth it.
> >
> > Great. We have somewhat of a consensus, and I would have to do a lot of
> > work to not make it a framework. I'll request the move and everything
> that
> > is required. I'll also add a disclaimer that Baloo is effectively GPL.
> >
> > I also started hacking on the Xapian replacement, and I have a student
> > experimenting with Lucene, so Baloo will eventually become LGPL.
>
> I think it's a misunderstanding: I think the effort of *NOT* having it a
> framework is worth clarity of licensing to frameworks. IOW: If it's not
> /effectively/ LGPL, but just on paper, it should not be a framework.
>
> Sorry for the confusion!

I'm not clear on what you're proposing instead?

Clearly we're at an impasss with at least a few people on each side.

Maybe we could all agree to let Kevin Krammer (as I understand it, the
current head of frameworks) to make a tough executive decision based on the
thoughts people have had here so we can move forwards with making sure it
gets released.

We in Plasma have a deadline to make sure this gets sorted with a release
in the next few days. We can't afford to to-and-fro on this any further.

David