kdesrc-build setup for kdepim

Alex Merry alex.merry at kde.org
Sat Dec 12 23:00:39 UTC 2015

The recent splitting of kdepimlibs has caused a clean run of
kdesrc-build to fail on lots of pim modules. This seems to be a
combination of kde-build-metadata not recording the dependencies
properly for a lot of things, and "playground/pim" in the kdepim
kdesrc-build include file being far too general (eg: akonadi-vkontakte
is kdelibs4-based, not kf5-based).

I started trying to fix it, but got a bit overwhelmed. It would be
easier for someone / some people with domain knowledge to do it, I
think, hence me emailing the kde-pim list.

Also, I'd like to point out that it is incredibly confusing when
non-Frameworks libraries claim to be in Frameworks (by prefixing their
CMake module names with "KF5", like KF5Async). When I see
find_package(KF5Foo) in a CMakeLists.txt file, I expect KF5Foo to
actually be a KDE Framework. Could we move away from calling things KF5*
until they are actually in frameworks (ie: in the frameworks/ directory
on the KDE servers, and expected to go into a Frameworks release soon)?
Apart from anything else, moving previously-released stuff into the KF5
namespace when they join Frameworks will probably help packagers.

Alex