New framework: KF5Syndication

Frank Osterfeld frank.osterfeld at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 21:14:58 UTC 2015

> On 22 Apr 2015, at 22:51, Mark Gaiser <markg85 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Disclaimer: I've never seen this code nor knew about it's existence till ~30 minutes ago.
>
> This library depends on QtXml (quite heavily in fact). That very Qt module is deprecated [1].
> Funnily enough, that is the only place that mentions it as being deprecated. No QtXml classes mention it in the docs and you won't get any compiler warnings either when you decide to use it.

True, the heavy QDom usage is a burden, which I don’t think you can get rid of in a sensible way, not without changing both API and implementation to a point where you end up with a rewrite, not a refactoring.
If I would rewrite such a library today, I’d use QXmlStreamReader instead of QDom. I’d also get rid of all that funky polymorphism and design pattern-isms, and just parse the feed data from the XML and create plain and dumb value-type objects for feeds, items etc. (and kill it’s homegrown RDF parser/model…)

Frank