New framework: KF5Syndication

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 20:51:15 UTC 2015

On Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 9:44 PM, Daniel Vrátil <dvratil at kde.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to ask for review of another Framework from kdepimlibs:
> KF5Syndication
>
> KF5Syndication is an RSS/Atom parsing library. It also provides API to
> fetch
> feeds directly from network.
>
> It's a Tier 3 Framework (depends on KCodecs and KIO). AFAIK it's currently
> being
> used only by Akregator.
>
> I would like to submit KF5Syndication for the standard 2 week review
> period, and if everything is OK, then move it to Frameworks.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel
>
> Disclaimer: I've never seen this code nor knew about it's existence till
~30 minutes ago.

This library depends on QtXml (quite heavily in fact). That very Qt module
is deprecated [1].
Funnily enough, that is the only place that mentions it as being
deprecated. No QtXml classes mention it in the docs and you won't get any
compiler warnings either when you decide to use it.

When searching for bug reports for deprecating QtXml i found [2] where they
say it's been mislabeled and should have the same status as Widgets. Aka:
done.
Which also means it might go deprecated in some future release (Qt6?).

Now i don't know what the real state of QtXml is, but if it really is
deprecated then i don't know if it's wise to release this library while
depending on a deprecated module.
In that case it might be better to "port" (which probably requires quite
some work) to the QXmlStreamReader and QXmlStreamWriter.

Just my 5 cents :)

[1] http://doc.qt.io/qt-5/qtmodules.html
[2] https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-32926