New framework: KF5Syndication

Frank Osterfeld frank.osterfeld at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 21:02:31 UTC 2015

Hi,

> KF5Syndication is an RSS/Atom parsing library. It also provides API to fetch
> feeds directly from network.
>
> It's a Tier 3 Framework (depends on KCodecs and KIO). AFAIK it's currently being
> used only by Akregator.

The Akonadi RSS resources (still lingering in some work branch, I assume?) and some plasmoids were also using it.

As for the dependencies: The KIO dependency is used only by a single class, “DataRetriever”, which is a rather thin wrapper around KIO::get to download the feed file.
The actual parser only requires KCodecs from KF. So I wonder if it would make sense to either drop the retriever classes completely, split them into another library (too tiny I guess), or make them optional in the build.

Frank