New framework: KF5Syndication

Daniel Vrátil dvratil at kde.org
Wed Apr 22 22:13:36 UTC 2015

On Wednesday, April 22, 2015 11:02:31 PM Frank Osterfeld wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > KF5Syndication is an RSS/Atom parsing library. It also provides API to
> > fetch feeds directly from network.
> >
> > It's a Tier 3 Framework (depends on KCodecs and KIO). AFAIK it's currently
> > being used only by Akregator.
>
> The Akonadi RSS resources (still lingering in some work branch, I assume?)
> and some plasmoids were also using it.
>
> As for the dependencies: The KIO dependency is used only by a single class,
> “DataRetriever”, which is a rather thin wrapper around KIO::get to download
> the feed file. The actual parser only requires KCodecs from KF. So I wonder
> if it would make sense to either drop the retriever classes completely,
> split them into another library (too tiny I guess), or make them optional
> in the build.

If KIO is really needed only to fetch the feeds then I would say we can drop
it. If Akregator ever gets ported to Akonadi :), then the retrieval will be
handled by the resource and other applications using Syndication will probably
prefer their own retrieval methods and can always fall back to just calling
KIO::get themselves.

Dan

--
Daniel Vrátil
www.dvratil.cz | dvratil at kde.org

GPG Key: 0x4D69557AECB13683
Fingerprint: 0ABD FA55 A4E6 BEA9 9A83 EA97 4D69 557A ECB1 3683