Supporting MSVC2010 in ktexteditor framework

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at kde.org
Mon Nov 17 09:03:43 UTC 2014

On Monday, 17 November 2014 07:33:00 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Sunday 16 November 2014 18:01:04 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The topic of increasing the compiler versions we require might have been
> > started for the specific issue one of the frameworks had, but I think it
> > shouldn't have died out when the issue in question got patched.
> >
> > IMO, this topic requires more consideration.
>
> Agreed, and thanks for a tentative improvement at the features white list to
> that effect.
>
> > Some of the features that we could use if we raise msvc version to 11.0
> > and
> > gcc to 4.6 or 4.7:
> > - range-based for loops
>
> Agreed.
>
> > - variadic templates
>
> Are you sure about that? IME variadic templates unfortunately don't work

Yeah, it looks like I've been looking at the CTP from November 2012 - for VS11
[1]. It would be awesome if somebody who has VS11 actually investigated this.
Namely, the 11.0 proper should support variadics up to some number of
arguments (yes, sounds really daft and hackish). If true, it would be able to
cover more than a few use-cases I reckon.

> with that one. They are listed as unsupported here:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/hh567368%28v=vs.110%29.aspx
>
> > - override and final (gcc 4.7)
>
> Agreed.
>
> > - delegating constructors (gcc 4.7)
> Unsupported on VS2012.
> > - initializer lists
> Unsupported on VS2012.

Again, seems to be that CTP thingie, damn. (though, again, the initializer
lists should also be tested - maybe they also work if the number of arguments
is less than ...)

> Here is a few more for consideration:
>  * Strongly typed enums
>  * extern templates