Supporting MSVC2010 in ktexteditor framework

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Nov 17 06:33:00 UTC 2014

On Sunday 16 November 2014 18:01:04 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The topic of increasing the compiler versions we require might have been
> started for the specific issue one of the frameworks had, but I think it
> shouldn't have died out when the issue in question got patched.
>
> IMO, this topic requires more consideration.

Agreed, and thanks for a tentative improvement at the features white list to
that effect.

> Some of the features that we could use if we raise msvc version to 11.0 and
> gcc to 4.6 or 4.7:
> - range-based for loops

Agreed.

> - variadic templates

Are you sure about that? IME variadic templates unfortunately don't work with
that one. They are listed as unsupported here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/vstudio/hh567368%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

> - override and final (gcc 4.7)

Agreed.

> - delegating constructors (gcc 4.7)

Unsupported on VS2012.

> - initializer lists

Unsupported on VS2012.

> - proper implementation of lambdas and move semantics

Yep, those two were already in the white list, we kind of cut a corner there.

Looks like the white list changes will be shorter than what you propose
unfortunately.

Here is a few more for consideration:
 * Strongly typed enums
 * extern templates