Supporting MSVC2010 in ktexteditor framework

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Wed Nov 5 09:02:02 UTC 2014

On Wed, Nov 5, 2014 at 9:07 PM, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:
> Hello,

Hi all,

> On Wednesday 05 November 2014 08:58:04 Martin Graesslin wrote:
>> So in stead of adding one exception after the other, just go the full way
>> and raise the requirement.
>
> I'm rather against per framework exception too. That said, raising the
> requirement should be done responsibly regarding the goals of KDE Frameworks
> which are also diffusing it's use outside of our community in general, it's
> use outside our own workspace in particular.

Per framework exceptions will likely lead to confusion as to which
compilers must be used for which framework.
Plus, if we do get CI implemented for Windows at some point, having
different compilers around is just a recipe for problems.

>> The fact that we don't have a CI to test it just shows even more that we
>> need to raise the minimum requirement.
>
> That's a very wrong line of argument... It shows that we should have better
> platform coverage in our CI. We don't really have CI for Mac OS X either and
> we break path related stuff there from time to time. Shall we Mac OS X support
> then? Slippery slope...

Raising the requirement would be a valid argument if we had a Windows
CI system that ran a given version (assuming we couldn't downgrade it
or do any testing with the older version).

In this case, we don't have a Windows CI system so this line of
reasoning leads very quickly to the conclusion of: we should only
support (and therefore publish minimum requirements for) those systems
we CI test for. Which at the moment is just gcc 4.8 on Linux.

>> Cheers
>> Martin
>
> --
> Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net