Supporting MSVC2010 in ktexteditor framework

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Wed Nov 5 08:02:20 UTC 2014

On Wednesday 05 November 2014 08:53:42 Mirko Boehm wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > On 05 Nov 2014, at 04:33, Nicolás Alvarez <nicolas.alvarez at gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > So, I hereby propose making an exception and bumping the minimum
> > compiler version *for ktexteditor only* to MSVC2012. Opinions?
>
> I propose to bump the required compiler versions across the board to
> compilers that fully 100% implement C++11. It is 2014 and C++14 is
> finalised. And we are a Free Software project and none of our compilers
> have any problems with that.

In the case of VC there's no such compiler yet. Even VS2013 is not 100%
compliant.

> In more general terms, the benefits we can gain from fully utilising our
> excellent programming language outweigh by far the potential fringe utility
> of gaining 0.5% users of non-free outdated compilers.

I strongly disagree here because of the above. There's quite a few potential
users on non-free platforms (some I already talked to in fact). It happens
that one of those platforms is Windows where VC is the most pervasive
compiler.

Now, my experience when visiting customers is that quite a few are still stuck
with VS2010 but the majority seems to be actively using VS2012 now. Early on I
was wondering if those VS2010 users could be using our stuff, I'm more and
more thinking with their profile it won't be the case.

I'd then propose as a possibility a more reasoned approach: bump the
dependency from VC2010 to VC2012, in turn white list more of the C++11
features.

I'd say that if we go in this direction, Nicolás is the best placed to update
the wiki page with the white list.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net