Move KDED out of frameworks?

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Fri Mar 28 19:43:36 UTC 2014

On Friday, 2014-03-28, 20:26:59, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Mar 2014, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> > D-Bus does run on most platforms, at least on desktop.
> > There was a thread on the Qt development list a short while ago which
> > discussed enabling QtDBus by default in Windows and Mac builds.
>
> It might 'run' -- but I still wouldn't want to distribute any application
> that uses dbus on windows or osx. In fact, for krita on Windows, I've
> hacked kdelibs 4 to disable dbus completely, and I'd do the same for osx,
> if I had the time.
>
> Just answering the questions of the people who get worried by their
> firewalls or other security software reporting DANGER! because dbus tries
> to make a local network connection is already too much of a pain.

I know,  that is currently a problem of the Windows port, i.e. it using TCP
instead of named pipes which are more an equivalent to Unix sockets.
(as evident by QLocalSocket/-Server using that instead).

The D-Bus session/user daemon is also something that needs to be treated in a
platform specific way as a dependency.
E.g. on Windows there could be a D-Bus installer that applications bundle and
run if necessary, very much like Games bunlding an DirectX installer.

Such a D-Bus installer would also register a startup hook that runs D-Bus on
session start or user login, whatever makes sense for the platform.

Frameworks that need D-Bus, e.g. KIO would then have the D-Bus installation as
a deployment requirement.

As with all frameworks it is up to the application developer which one they
want to depend on and which one they treat as options.

Cheers,
Kevin
KDE user support, developer mentoring