Move KDED out of frameworks?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Mar 28 19:55:02 UTC 2014

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> The D-Bus session/user daemon is also something that needs to be treated in a
> platform specific way as a dependency.
> E.g. on Windows there could be a D-Bus installer that applications bundle and
> run if necessary, very much like Games bunlding an DirectX installer.

Oh no, I never would do that... It would still cost me many hours of my
life dealing with it, and it would still give my users no advantage at
all. There just isn't any reason an application like Krita would need an
ipc solution -- and any library that insists on coming with one is just
not going to make the cut.

(Heck, it's just like sycoca... That thing has cost me weeks of my life,
all totted up, and has not delivered anything useful at all.)

I know that for me, as a developer, I could use ipc to coordinate
settings changes and check whether autosave files belong to another
running instance of the application, but it still isn't worth the effort.
I also know that for other applications it's essential, but dbus won't
help anyone make better paintings more expeditiously, and, really, is all
that my project is about.

Boud