Move KDED out of frameworks?

Boudewijn Rempt boud at valdyas.org
Fri Mar 28 19:26:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, 28 Mar 2014, Kevin Krammer wrote:

> D-Bus does run on most platforms, at least on desktop.
> There was a thread on the Qt development list a short while ago which
> discussed enabling QtDBus by default in Windows and Mac builds.

It might 'run' -- but I still wouldn't want to distribute any application
that uses dbus on windows or osx. In fact, for krita on Windows, I've
hacked kdelibs 4 to disable dbus completely, and I'd do the same for osx,
if I had the time.

Just answering the questions of the people who get worried by their
firewalls or other security software reporting DANGER! because dbus tries
to make a local network connection is already too much of a pain.

And given that dbus doesn't give my users any advantage, any desirable
feature at all on any platform means that it's just not worth that pain.

Let alone the pain caused by starting daemons and shutting them down when
the application shuts down... Any daemon at all, any process but the
application itself that gets started on Windows or OSX when you start the
app is not worth it.

For the Qt5 port of Krita, we'll not use any framework that pulls in dbus.

Boudewijn