Unknown media types

Michael Palimaka kensington at gentoo.org
Sat Mar 22 15:40:31 UTC 2014

On 03/16/2014 09:46 PM, David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 15 March 2014 19:24:08 Michael Palimaka wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> kcoreaddons installs /usr/share/mime/packages/kde5.xml which causes the
>> following warnings when update-mime-database is executed:
>>
>> Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
>> Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'
>> Unknown media type in type 'uri/mms'
>> Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmst'
>> Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmsu'
>> Unknown media type in type 'uri/pnm'
>> Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspt'
>> Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspu'
>>
>> This has been around for a long time, but are they actually used by
>> anything anymore and if not, is this a good opportunity to clean it up?
>
> The question comes up regularly, but it would be useful if you could actually do some research on who uses these uri/ mimetypes.

On the Ubuntu bug about this, I found a reference to the freedesktop
spec[1] which suggests these should probably be x-scheme-handler/foo
instead.

Checking lxr, usage is:
* matching oxygen-icons eg. /22x22/mimetypes/uri-mmst.png (and a script
in calligra that checks against oxygen-icons)
* kplayer
* kio/src/ioslaves/protocols/foo.protocol
* kde-dev-scripts list of what appears to be mime types renamed kde 3 -> 4
* Some old emerge stuff

So, can we just change the kio .protocol files and document that on the
porting notes?

[1]:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/shared-mime-info-spec/shared-mime-info-spec-latest.html#id2711002