Unknown media types

David Faure faure at kde.org
Sun Mar 16 10:46:47 UTC 2014

On Saturday 15 March 2014 19:24:08 Michael Palimaka wrote:
> Hi,
>
> kcoreaddons installs /usr/share/mime/packages/kde5.xml which causes the
> following warnings when update-mime-database is executed:
>
> Unknown media type in type 'all/all'
> Unknown media type in type 'all/allfiles'
> Unknown media type in type 'uri/mms'
> Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmst'
> Unknown media type in type 'uri/mmsu'
> Unknown media type in type 'uri/pnm'
> Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspt'
> Unknown media type in type 'uri/rtspu'
>
> This has been around for a long time, but are they actually used by
> anything anymore and if not, is this a good opportunity to clean it up?

The question comes up regularly, but it would be useful if you could actually do some research on who uses these uri/ mimetypes.

For all/all and all/allfiles I can answer it: all/allfiles can be removed and replaced with application/octet-stream,
all/all is basically application/octet-stream+inode/directory  (everything is either a file or a directory).

You can adjust the code below, and then document the change in the porting docs, and then remove the mimetypes from kde5.xml.

./kde4support/tests/kfstest.cpp:63:    filter << "all/allfiles" << "text/plain";
./kde4support/tests/kfstest.cpp:64:    dlg->setMimeFilter(filter, "all/allfiles");
./kde4support/tests/kfstest.cpp:142:            filter << "all/allfiles" << "text/plain";
./kde4support/tests/kfstest.cpp:143:            dlg->setMimeFilter(filter, "all/allfiles");
./kde4support/src/kio/kfiledialog.h:243:     * To add a filter item for all files matching @c '*', add @c all/allfiles
./kservice/src/kbuildsycoca/kbuildservicefactory.cpp:172:    // TODO do the same for all/all and all/allfiles, if (!KServiceTypeProfile::configurationMode())
./kservice/src/services/kservicetypeprofile.h:66: * This method activates a special mode of KServiceTypeProfile, in which all/all
./kservice/src/services/kservicetypeprofile.h:67: * and all/allfiles are excluded from the results of the queries.
./kio/src/filewidgets/kfilefiltercombo.cpp:190:        d->m_filters.append(QLatin1String("all/allfiles"));