[extra-cmake-modules] modules: Revert "use the NAME_PREFIX only for the test, not for the executable"

Alex Merry alex.merry at kde.org
Fri Jun 6 19:55:16 UTC 2014

On 06/06/14 20:29, David Faure wrote:
> On Saturday 10 May 2014 10:28:43 Alex Merry wrote:
>> Git commit 7213137a75e832976c25168ae640d26369c771a7 by Alex Merry.
>> Committed on 10/05/2014 at 10:26.
>> Pushed by alexmerry into branch 'master'.
>>
>> Revert "use the NAME_PREFIX only for the test, not for the executable"
>
> I didn't follow the full story on this topic, but I'm not very happy with the
> current solution.
>
> It used to be that the prefix was just for the test, i.e. for the cmake
> output.
>
> Now it's part of the executable name. So I can't do
> make jobtest && ./jobtest
> anymore, I have to do
> make kiocore-jobtest && ./kiocore-jobtest
> That's unintuitive (it's jobtest.cpp) and too much typing.
>
> Why did we go from test names to executable names?

Because I thought it wasn't that useful to namespace the test names
without namespacing the targets/executables as well.

I guess this depends on the purpose of the name prefix. If it's purely
to say "go look here in the codebase for this test", which is how it was
used in kdelibs before the splitting, just changing the test name is
fine. If it's to do actual namespacing, so that you can have a jobtest
in one place and a jobtest in another place in the same project (but
maybe one in some server code and one in some client code), then you
need to namespace the targets as well.

I don't think any of the frameworks should use the NAME_PREFIX argument
anyway. It's no longer useful now that everything is split.

Alex