Minimum translation percentage for frameworks release

Alexander Potashev aspotashev at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 23:36:14 UTC 2014

> The reason is that frameworks being a more "disperse" set of libraries (i.e.
> they can be used on a one or many basis for other projects) doing a global
> percentage is probably not a good idea (and we ship the translations
> individually anyway for each framework)

Albert,

I agree with you in that doing a global percentage is bad, okay: some
3rd party applications might be happy with just KWidgetsAddons, and so
a global percentage would stop it from being translated because you
translated only kwidgetsaddons.po and not the other frameworks.

But doing per-framework percentages is no bueno, either: imagine your
app uses KService and you translated only this framework having
skipped its dependencies. Then the app might be translated very poorly
if many strings come from the dependent frameworks.

To account for dependencies we may choose "70% of strings from the
framework + its dependencies" as the per-framework criterion for
shipping a language.

--
Alexander Potashev