Minimum translation percentage for frameworks release

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed Jul 30 21:56:21 UTC 2014

Hi, in the 4.x world we have something called "Essential Packages" for
translations that is basically a set of minimum percentage of some files that
you need to get if you want the whole translation of your language to be
released with the 4.x SC.

For Plasma 5.x we probably are thinking on a 70% over all the files for the
translations to be shipped.

I've been thinking about frameworks and i think it makes no sense to impose a
minimum translation percentage.

The reason is that frameworks being a more "disperse" set of libraries (i.e.
they can be used on a one or many basis for other projects) doing a global
percentage is probably not a good idea (and we ship the translations
individually anyway for each framework)

Per framework percentage is more argable if makes sense or not, but again the
fact that let's say VLC may be using libkscreen (and in windows they would be
shipping it themselves) means that I think it is a good idea that we let the
downstream users be the ones that decide to include or not the translations
(In case of linux would be the job of distros).

Opinions?

Cheers,
  Albert