Web Shortcuts KCM

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Jul 15 06:15:46 UTC 2014

Hello,

On Monday 14 July 2014 12:46:15 David Faure wrote:
> On Monday 14 July 2014 12:34:44 Eike Hein wrote:
> > I'd like to port the ebrowsing KCM and move it to
> > plasma-desktop or -workspace, since it has plenty
> > of users outside of Konq (e.g. Konvi, Konsole and
> > Okular, the first two of which have ports now).
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> The whole split between workspace and applications seems to generate more
> issues than we thought..... we're going to miss a place for shared runtime
> deps.
>
> If someone uses konvi, konsole, okular, or konqueror outside of plasma-
> workspace, (e.g. in gnome, Mac or Windows), then they are not going to be
> able to configure cookies, internet keywords, useragent, proxies ..... if
> these things are part of the workspace.

And as such shall be configured in the workspace no? I mean... cookies,
proxies and so on, that looks wrong if they are configured by some runtime
bits provided by a framework knowing the platforms have such settings. I also
kills all hopes to see something like KIO have a lower tier for instance.

> Given that the kurifilter plugins themselves are in KIO for this same
> reason, maybe the ebrowsing and the kio (cookies,proxies,useragent) KCMs
> should go into KIO as well?

Honestly to me it looks like a wrong move. A better move would be to have the
framework (e.g. KIO) read the settings from the platform for its settings
(e.g. proxies).

We ought to treat our workspaces like one of the platforms our frameworks can
be used with, not try to bring workspace bits in our frameworks. That would go
counter to our initial goals.

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net