Web Shortcuts KCM

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Jul 15 06:25:48 UTC 2014

On Monday 14 July 2014 13:15:32 John Layt wrote:
> Over on the Windows list we've been discussing about KCM's for
> configuring common services/frameworks like this when running apps
> under non-Plasma desktops, including Gnome, Windows, Mac, etc.
> General gist is that we don't want to have systemsettings installed in
> non-Plasma platforms to gain access to them, so they need to be
> accessed through the apps config dialog or help menu instead.  This
> implies a few things:
>
> 1) That the KCM's are located somewhere easily packaged for
> stand-alone app installers to include
> 2) That an app can figure out what KCM's it needs access to when
> running non-native
> 3) That at runtime the app can detect it is running in non-native mode
> and find and load the required external KCMs that it needs
> [...]
> Thoughts?

Or maybe it is that an application which depends on such a KCM to be present
to be configured is not portable? After all, it is a sign of a direct
dependency on a low level setting from the application.

Maybe that's fine, maybe not all applications are meant to run outside of a
Plasma workspace. What's not fine IMO is to turn a framework into a bit of
workspace with UI to workaround that.

From what I kept above, I got that feeling that we end up in that situation
mainly because: we got some settings which should be application settings but
end up appearing in systemsettings instead and we got applications/frameworks
reading settings from our low level settings unconditionally while they should
read from the platform settings instead (Plasma being one among several).

Regards.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net