Change the ML default reply-to address

Kevin Krammer krammer at kde.org
Wed Jan 29 10:57:07 UTC 2014

On Wednesday, 2014-01-29, 11:43:37, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Kevin Krammer <krammer at kde.org> wrote:

> > I am subscribed to more than two dozend KDE mailinglist (and numerous
> > others).
> > I post to some of the regularily while some others only sporadically.
> > "New mail to list" and "reply to list" have *always* sent the mail to the
> > list.
> >
> > The only thing that is not reliably working across lists is reply in
> > private
> > mail. For that to work repliably I've fallen back to using the mouse and
> > right-clicking the right address. Pretty annoying but some mailinglists
> > seem
> > to have broken setups.
>
> As said in the original mail, in less-advanced-than-kmail clients there is
> no "reply to list" and simply hitting "reply" /always/ puts the author in
> "To:" instead of the ML address for this list, therefore the suggestion :)

Ah, a case of wrong-tool-for-the-job then :)

> Personally I also think that all of our MLs should behave the same...sort
> of like KDE-ML-policy but that's a longer run I guess...

I don't think it really matters [1].

Reply to list works reliably, reply to author requires mouse interaction to be
reliable, reply as a shortcut is out of the picture due to broken lists.

It is a pity but using shortcuts is dying out, more and more things start to
require clicking and touching :(

Luckily the only affected action currently is reply to author which is not
often required :)

Cheers,
Kevin

[1] if those with limited "mail clients" prefer reply to mimick reply to list,
then we should do that. Reply's consistency is broken for everyone anyway and
thus mostly unused anyway.
KDE user support, developer mentoring