Required and supported Qt versions

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Dec 30 08:32:08 UTC 2014

On Monday 29 December 2014 17:46:03 Jan Kundrát wrote:
> Hi,
> is there a minimal required Qt version which applies to all of KF5? I see
> that most of the modules I currently have checked out say that they need
> 5.2.0 while polkit-qt-1 declares itself compatible with 5.1.0.

polkit-qt-1 isn't a KDE Framework.

> - Is that information correct? Is 5.2.0 universally supported?

Yes. I even made some fixes for compilation with Qt 5.2.0 this month, so it
will in practice be supported again with KF 5.6.

> - Is there any value in having CI checks for this oldest supported version?

Yes, definitely. I thought it was hard to setup with jenkins though, since that
requires duplicating all jobs.

> - Should the CI check other versions of Qt as well? Which ones?

Ideally every released minor version since 5.2 :-)
i.e. 5.2, 5.3, 5.4. Possibly even dev.
I know that build.kde.org tests two of these, but I forgot which.

> - Would there be any value in testing e.g. libdep1 built against Qt 5.3.2
> with a project that uses libdep1 but is itself built with Qt 5.4?

Err, that goes into exponential complexity. I think this is too complex to be
worth it, and should be mostly fine anyway.
I also think distro users can't hit this case?

Working on KDE Frameworks 5