Required and supported Qt versions

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Tue Dec 30 08:41:10 UTC 2014

On Tue, Dec 30, 2014 at 9:32 PM, David Faure <faure at kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday 29 December 2014 17:46:03 Jan Kundrát wrote:
>> Hi,
>> is there a minimal required Qt version which applies to all of KF5? I see
>> that most of the modules I currently have checked out say that they need
>> 5.2.0 while polkit-qt-1 declares itself compatible with 5.1.0.
>
> polkit-qt-1 isn't a KDE Framework.
>
>> - Is that information correct? Is 5.2.0 universally supported?
>
> Yes. I even made some fixes for compilation with Qt 5.2.0 this month, so it
> will in practice be supported again with KF 5.6.
>
>> - Is there any value in having CI checks for this oldest supported version?
>
> Yes, definitely. I thought it was hard to setup with jenkins though, since that
> requires duplicating all jobs.
>
>> - Should the CI check other versions of Qt as well? Which ones?
>
> Ideally every released minor version since 5.2 :-)
> i.e. 5.2, 5.3, 5.4. Possibly even dev.
> I know that build.kde.org tests two of these, but I forgot which.

We test the variants noted by "kf5-qt5" and "stable-kf5-qt5" in the
build metadata for Qt.

In regards to building against multiple versions - this should be
simplified in part by Scarlett's work as part of her SoK which should
make things like this easier to implement in the future. The scripts
which actually power our system will need adjusting still of course,
but the weirdness in Jenkins itself will be eliminated.

Specifying how the dependencies and all that works though will be a
touch tricky I think.

(Being able to use different versions of Qt within a major series is
an argument in favour of having the CI system build Qt itself btw).

>> - Would there be any value in testing e.g. libdep1 built against Qt 5.3.2
>> with a project that uses libdep1 but is itself built with Qt 5.4?
>
> Err, that goes into exponential complexity. I think this is too complex to be
> worth it, and should be mostly fine anyway.
> I also think distro users can't hit this case?
>
> --
> David Faure, faure at kde.org, http://www.davidfaure.fr
> Working on KDE Frameworks 5

Cheers,