Breeze widget style for KF5

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Mon Aug 11 10:51:21 UTC 2014

On Monday 11 August 2014 12:29:05 Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:
> Hi all,
> For the last couple of weeks and after discussion with Nuno, Marco,
> Andrew and some others, I've worked on implementing most of the ideas
> from  git://anongit.kde.org/breeze.git
> <http://anongit.kde.org/breeze.git> (more precisely from the QML demos
> at widgetstyles/qtquickcontrolsstyle)  into a native widget style for KF5.
>
> Some screenshots below:
>
> dolphin: http://wstaw.org/m/2014/08/11/dolphin.png
> oxygen-demo:
> http://wstaw.org/m/2014/08/11/oxygen-demo.png
> http://wstaw.org/m/2014/08/11/oxygen-demo1.png
> http://wstaw.org/m/2014/08/11/oxygen-demo2.png
>
> Now this is of course not complete, but at least it is usable (I'm using
> it now).
> It naturally uses a lot of the code from oxygen, though for now I've
> preferred making a deep copy than actually sharing the code via
> libraries. Also it should be more efficient and have less 'issues'
> because it uses no pixmap caching but direct rendering to the widgets
> everywhere, mostly because said rendering is simpler than for oxygen.
> This should make it more easily dpi independent when this gets
> implemented inside Qt5.
>
> For the moment the code is in the following scratch repository:
> git://anongit.kde.org/scratch/hpereiradacosta/breeze
>
> Ultimately I'd like to
> - push this to some official repository (where should that be ?
> kde/workspace/breeze/kstyle ?)
> - make it the 'official' kf5 style (instead of the current QtCurve settings)
> - have feedback
> - iron out the remaining issues
>
> Among the things that are most notably missing are: a configuration ui (!)
> (though I foresee less things to be configurable than with oxygen)
>
> ... and then I'd like to:
> - make a gtk style
> - possibly make a kde4/qt4 style,
> - backport the improvement made to the code base (it is always good to
> revisit one's code) to oxygen at kf5
> etc.
>
> Comments, objections, blessings, are welcome

As someone with no clue:

a) what's the advantage of having a native widget style, compared to using
QtCurve settings? Are there things missing / not implementable in QtCurve?
b) do you share the git history, i.e. did you do a proper fork, or did you
reimport the sources and started from scratch (I hope not).

Bye
--
Milian Wolff
mail at milianw.de