Breeze widget style for KF5

Hugo Pereira Da Costa hugo.pereira at free.fr
Mon Aug 11 11:05:19 UTC 2014

Hi Milian

> On Monday 11 August 2014 12:29:05 Hugo Pereira Da Costa wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> For the last couple of weeks and after discussion with Nuno, Marco,
>> Andrew and some others, I've worked on implementing most of the ideas
>> from  git://anongit.kde.org/breeze.git
>> <http://anongit.kde.org/breeze.git> (more precisely from the QML demos
>> at widgetstyles/qtquickcontrolsstyle)  into a native widget style for KF5.
>>
>> Some screenshots below:
>>
>> dolphin: http://wstaw.org/m/2014/08/11/dolphin.png
>> oxygen-demo:
>> http://wstaw.org/m/2014/08/11/oxygen-demo.png
>> http://wstaw.org/m/2014/08/11/oxygen-demo1.png
>> http://wstaw.org/m/2014/08/11/oxygen-demo2.png
>>
>> Now this is of course not complete, but at least it is usable (I'm using
>> it now).
>> It naturally uses a lot of the code from oxygen, though for now I've
>> preferred making a deep copy than actually sharing the code via
>> libraries. Also it should be more efficient and have less 'issues'
>> because it uses no pixmap caching but direct rendering to the widgets
>> everywhere, mostly because said rendering is simpler than for oxygen.
>> This should make it more easily dpi independent when this gets
>> implemented inside Qt5.
>>
>> For the moment the code is in the following scratch repository:
>> git://anongit.kde.org/scratch/hpereiradacosta/breeze
>>
>> Ultimately I'd like to
>> - push this to some official repository (where should that be ?
>> kde/workspace/breeze/kstyle ?)
>> - make it the 'official' kf5 style (instead of the current QtCurve settings)
>> - have feedback
>> - iron out the remaining issues
>>
>> Among the things that are most notably missing are: a configuration ui (!)
>> (though I foresee less things to be configurable than with oxygen)
>>
>> ... and then I'd like to:
>> - make a gtk style
>> - possibly make a kde4/qt4 style,
>> - backport the improvement made to the code base (it is always good to
>> revisit one's code) to oxygen at kf5
>> etc.
>>
>> Comments, objections, blessings, are welcome
> As someone with no clue:
>
> a) what's the advantage of having a native widget style, compared to using
> QtCurve settings?
None, except that you need someone working on qtcurve
> Are there things missing / not implementable in QtCurve?
Everything is implemementable in QtCurve, though not via a simple text
config file. So here also, you need someone to do it.
> b) do you share the git history, i.e. did you do a proper fork, or did you
> reimport the sources and started from scratch (I hope not).
For breeze I reimported the needed parts of oxygen sources and started
from scratch, mostly because a large fraction of the code from oxygen is
overkill for Breeze's needs.