Status of the KDE Runtime module splitting

John Layt jlayt at kde.org
Mon Apr 7 18:53:51 UTC 2014

On 7 April 2014 18:57, Aleix Pol <aleixpol at kde.org> wrote:

> - l10n, localization: it was decided in this mailing list it would go to
> kde4support when some development happens. Otherwise it should go to
> KUnitConversion because it's only used there. besides KDE4Support.

Catching up after a couple of weeks away, there were 4 issues for
localization:

* KCurrencyCode
* kde-runtime/l10n
* kde-runtime/localization/currency
* all_languages

Moving KCurrencyCode from KUnitConversion to kde4support with full git
history was supposed to have been done before the beta, as it is no longer
used in KUnitConversion, but I guess that got missed in the process.  I
really would like this moved as otherwise we'd also need to carry the
config files in KUnitConversion which doesn't use them, and continue to
depend on KConfigCore.

The KLocale config files need to move from kde-runtime/l10n/* to
kde4support/localization/country/*, they should have no other use outside
kde4support.  As far as I can see, the only place left using them is the
old Locale KCM which will be changed, so nothing to stop this moving now.

The KCurrencyCode config files need to move from
kde-runtime/localization/currency to kde4support/localization/currency,
assuming KCurrencyCode gets moved to kde4support, otherwise to
kunitconversion/data/currency.

A question with the kde4support/localization files is how to parallel
install with KDE4?  Currently KDE4 installs its copy into
${LOCALE_INSTALL_DIR}/l10n and ${LOCALE_INSTALL_DIR}/currency (usually in
/usr/share/locale).  We need to have kde4support install into
${LOCALE_INSTALL_DIR}/kf5/ instead, and modify KLocale and KCurrencyCode to
look there.

The all-languages file holds translations of all language names in the
languages KDE is translated into.  This looks to have been moved to
kde4support already for KLocale to use, and is being installed to
${LOCALE_INSTALL_DIR}/kf5_all_langauges.  It appears all other uses have
been ported away to use QLocale?  Perhaps we should install it into
${LOCALE_INSTALL_DIR}/kf5/ as well?

In short, once KCurrencyCode is sorted there should be nothing to stop the
config file moves.

Cheers!

John.