Status of the KDE Runtime module splitting

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Apr 8 05:52:24 UTC 2014

Hello,

On Monday 07 April 2014 18:57:25 Aleix Pol wrote:
> We started the discussion of splitting some time where we somewhat agreed
> on a splitting plan [1]. I've been working during the last week on it, and
> decided I'd send an e-mail with some update on the status. Most things that
> haven't been done yet, are because I don't really know what to do with
> them, especially because I could really use some feedback from the
> respective KF5 maintainers.

I thought you got feedback on some of those, but let's repeat.

> - DrKonqi: Is a huge dependency for KCrash but then a major feature there.

"Or we keep drkonqi out and have it provided by the workspace. If not
available then kcrash could provide a default very basic one. Sounds like
something for 5.1 though."

What I meant there, is drkonqi goes with the workspace today. And we'll make
kcrash properly portable (and usable outside of our workspace) after 5.0.

> - KGlobalAccelD: Again, huge dependency for the KGlobalAccel daemon but
> also a must to have it working.

Ben's words, I merely sent a +1:
"If this is such a problem, then kglobalaccel (the framework) should
gain backends for Windows, Mac, Other DE, etc. integration and
kglobalacceld is merely the implementation used in a Plasma workspace."

So kglobalacceld goes with the workspace. And just like KCrash we'll make it
more portable after 5.0.
I also wrote:
"As a matter of fact we should probably make KXmlGui be able to treat
KGlobalAccel as optional if the daemon isn't available at runtime."

If possible that would be nice to have that done before 5.0 though.

> - l10n, localization: it was decided in this mailing list it would go to
> kde4support when some development happens. Otherwise it should go to
> KUnitConversion because it's only used there. besides KDE4Support.

No opinion, no idea, not sure I see the problem in fact. :-)

> - solid-networkstatus: Alex is doing this one, it's pending on this review
> [2].
> - attica-kde, kurifilter-plugins, KWindowsAddons, solid-deviceautomounter:
> I need to request the directory, but they need to go into a separate
> directory and that's it.

Apart from KWindowsAddons I'm not sure I see the point of separate
repositories for everything.

> - kioslaves, kioslaves-extra: I'm waiting to get the respositories, the
> sysadmin team seems to have some concerns. Discussing it at the moment
> (when the time zones let us).

I agree there's one repository too many. But that's clearly workspace stuff to
me.

> - doc: I plan to do it after the rest is sorted out.

What kind of feedback are you expecting here?

Cheers.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net