further coinstallability

Johannes Huber johu at gentoo.org
Sun Nov 24 08:38:28 UTC 2013

Am Samstag, 23. November 2013, 18:19:53 schrieb Jonathan Riddell:
> I had a chat here at Munich BSP with Maxy from Debian and Sput from Gentoo
> about coinstallability.
>
> It was pointed out that dbus interfaces will clash at runtime if the
> interface has changed at all or it expects to talk to a different daemon or
> something. org.kde.kded has been renamed to org.kde.kded5 but there are
> many others and it's worth working out which will need to be renamed.
>
> some libs with an soname of 5 in kdelibs4 keep an soname of 5 in KF5.  I
> found libkhtml.so.5 which is now libKHtml.so.5 which will clash for package
> names which are all lower case.  There may be others.
>
> developer files matter to some people to be co-installable.  I don't mind
> just telling developing users you need to uninstall kde 4 libs -dev package
> and install kf 5 -dev package but some people think this is inelegant and
> for source only distros like Gentoo it's not an option because all files
> get installed.  Header files and others can probably be moved to a separate
> directory but cmake files are harder e.g. /usr/lib/cmake/grantlee has files
> which they will want to be co-installable.  cmake docs say they can be
> installed into a versioned directory e.g. /usr/lib/cmake/grantlee-5 but
> this needs to be checked and the build system modified.
>
> Jonathan

Thanks Jonathan for picking this issue up on the agenda.

I guess the binary distro "-dev" packages are just workarrounds to the root
cause of the problem. They split the conflicting compile parts out of the
library to make it coinstallable on the build boxes. But on our side the build
box is the end user box.

In addition to the information already provided by Jonathan. In Gentoo we have
already packaged tier 1 & tier 2 live versions. In the wiki page you can see
the conflicting files, which we hit already:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:KDE/Frameworks/Packaging_status

A search gives me the following result.

./tier1/solid/src/solid/backends/fakehw/fakecomputer.xml
./tier1/solid/src/solid/backends/udisks2/dbus/manager.xml
./tier1/solid/src/solid/org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.xml
./tier1/solid/src/solid/org.kde.Solid.Networking.Client.xml
./tier1/solid/src/solid/org.kde.Solid.PowerManagement.PolicyAgent.xml
./tier1/solid/src/solid/org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.Inhibit.xml
./tier1/kdbusaddons/src/org.freedesktop.Application.xml
./tier1/kdbusaddons/src/org.kde.KDBusService.xml
./tier1/kidletime/src/org.freedesktop.ScreenSaver.xml
./tier1/kconfig/autotests/kconfigloadertest.xml
./tier2/kwallet/src/org.kde.KWallet.xml
./tier2/dnssd/src/org.freedesktop.Avahi.DomainBrowser.xml
./tier2/dnssd/src/org.freedesktop.Avahi.ServiceBrowser.xml
./tier2/dnssd/src/org.freedesktop.Avahi.ServiceTypeBrowser.xml
./tier2/kauth/src/backends/dbus/org.kde.auth.xml
./tier2/knotifications/src/org.kde.StatusNotifierItem.xml
./tier2/knotifications/src/org.kde.KNotify.xml
./tier2/knotifications/src/org.kde.StatusNotifierWatcher.xml
./tier2/knotifications/src/org.freedesktop.Notifications.xml
./tier2/kjobwidgets/src/org.kde.JobView.xml
./tier2/kjobwidgets/src/org.kde.JobViewServer.xml
./tier2/kjobwidgets/src/org.kde.JobViewV2.xml
./tier3/kio/src/core/org.kde.KPasswdServer.xml
./tier3/kio/src/core/org.kde.KLauncher.xml
./tier3/kio/src/core/org.kde.KDirNotify.xml
./tier3/kio/src/widgets/org.kde.kuiserver.xml
./tier3/kio/src/widgets/org.kde.kio.FileUndoManager.xml
./tier3/kio/autotests/fakecomputer.xml
./tier3/xmlgui/src/org.kde.kglobalaccel.Component.xml
./tier3/xmlgui/src/org.kde.KGlobalAccel.xml
./tier3/knewstuff/tests/testdata/entry.xml
./tier3/knewstuff/tests/testdata/provider.xml
./tier3/kservice/src/kdeinit/org.kde.KLauncher.xml
./staging/kspeech/org.kde.KSpeech.xml
./staging/kmediaplayer/src/kmediaplayer/org.kde.KMediaPlayer.xml

Maybe there are some false positives in it. If you need more information, i am
happy to provide it.

Greetings
--
Johannes Huber (johu)