further coinstallability

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Sat Nov 23 18:19:53 UTC 2013

I had a chat here at Munich BSP with Maxy from Debian and Sput from Gentoo
about coinstallability.

It was pointed out that dbus interfaces will clash at runtime if the
interface has changed at all or it expects to talk to a different daemon or
something. org.kde.kded has been renamed to org.kde.kded5 but there are
many others and it's worth working out which will need to be renamed.

some libs with an soname of 5 in kdelibs4 keep an soname of 5 in KF5.  I
found libkhtml.so.5 which is now libKHtml.so.5 which will clash for package
names which are all lower case.  There may be others.

developer files matter to some people to be co-installable.  I don't mind
just telling developing users you need to uninstall kde 4 libs -dev package
and install kf 5 -dev package but some people think this is inelegant and
for source only distros like Gentoo it's not an option because all files
get installed.  Header files and others can probably be moved to a separate
directory but cmake files are harder e.g. /usr/lib/cmake/grantlee has files
which they will want to be co-installable.  cmake docs say they can be
installed into a versioned directory e.g. /usr/lib/cmake/grantlee-5 but
this needs to be checked and the build system modified.

Jonathan