Getting ecm files from the ECM package

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Sun Nov 3 13:24:40 UTC 2013

On Sunday 03 November 2013 14:05:32 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Saturday 02 November 2013, David Faure wrote:
> > >
> > > My opinion:
> > >
> > > 1) The current situation with ECM and KF5 is just fine.
> > > 2) There are other issues to work on which are more relevant, urgent and
> > > impactful than this maven-like-thingy.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > I don't understand what this effort is trying to fix?
>
> e.g. keeping code like always, unconditional, hardcoded searching for QtCore
> 5.2 out of a module which is supposed to be used by any kind of cmake
> projects, not only KDE. I was quite surprised when I saw that a few days
> ago in ECMConfig.cmake.
>
> No, seriously, provide a package which offers useful addons to any project
> using cmake, not bound to KDE, as ECM has become.
>
> > The fact that find modules and kde settings are both provided by ECM?
> > Well I say -- that's great.
> >
> > I can't see myself justifying to people who just want to use KArchive on
> > e.g. Windows, why they would have do download and install
> > 1) cmake
> > 2) ECM
> > 3) tier0-kf5
> > before being able to build karchive.
> > Obvious expected reaction: "I need to set up THREE dependencies just for
> > the f*** build system? Why can't you guys use qmake instead?"
> >
> > We're trying to make it easier to use our frameworks, not harder!
>
> please read properly what I wrote.
>
> To build software using an installed karchive, they don't need anything but
> a compiler.
> To build software using karchive with cmake, they still need only cmake.
> To build software using karchive *for KDE*, they need cmake and tier0-kf5 if
> they want to comply to KDE standards. They'll need ECM only if they need
> something from it.
>
> To build karchive itself, they would need cmake + tier0-kf5 + ECM (which
> would not necessarily need to be installed).

For the record, it's what third parties developers tend to do (build it
themselves from the sources) and it's not acceptable if they have to install
both a tier0 and ecm. We need to cater to their needs to, and with a recipe
like that it's just harder.

It's the situation we try to avoid.

Regards.
--