Getting ecm files from the ECM package

Alexander Neundorf neundorf at kde.org
Sun Nov 3 13:37:33 UTC 2013

On Sunday 03 November 2013, Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Sunday 03 November 2013 14:05:32 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > To build software using an installed karchive, they don't need anything
> > but a compiler.
> > To build software using karchive with cmake, they still need only cmake.
> > To build software using karchive *for KDE*, they need cmake and tier0-kf5
> > if they want to comply to KDE standards. They'll need ECM only if they
> > need something from it.
> >
> > To build karchive itself, they would need cmake + tier0-kf5 + ECM (which
> > would not necessarily need to be installed).
>
> For the record, it's what third parties developers tend to do (build it
> themselves from the sources) and it's not acceptable if they have to
> install both a tier0 and ecm. We need to cater to their needs to, and with
> a recipe like that it's just harder.

I understand what you mean.
For tier1, I agree. For using tier>1, IMO it doesn't matter anymore.
Also, I was hoping that ECM would become such a common source of files that it
would usually be present anyway on a developer system with cmake.
This won't be the case if it is tied as closely to KF5 as it has become (due
to the KDE*.cmake files being there).

You mentioned git submodules, maybe this could be used (I'm no expert there),
so it would be only one thing. Or, as I wrote, it could be (optionally)
downloaded without having to be installed, so it would be still only one
thing.

Alex