Getting ecm files from the ECM package

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Nov 1 16:04:12 UTC 2013

On Friday, November 01, 2013 11:57:35 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> > Then it is time to think of a way to integrate cmake with the separate
> > source of find_modules. Algorithmically, it would look like
> >
> > PROJECT(MyApplication)
> > FIND_MODULES_REPOSITORY("http://ecm.kde.org")
> > FIND_PACKAGES(KF5 REQUIRED...)
> >
> > and so forth. That would be a real breakthrough. It is related to the
> > approach taken by Maven and others. All it takes is a built-in way for
> > CMake to download the find_modules into a cache location and update them
> > when needed, or on request.
>
> Yes, that's definitely something we've been missing for a long time
> compared  to the java crowd who massively use Maven. It is an *excellent*
> feature, and would solve this kind of headaches we have with the build
> system.

I think some distros disallow downloading stuff during build-time. I think for
good reasons:

- it makes builds harder to reproduce
- it requires an internet connection (and a server to be reachable), which is
  not a given on all build farms
- it makes checksums of source tarballs less useful
- it introduce a vector for security problems (think compromising the server
  that serves the Find modules, code gets downloaded and executed from there
- it feels icky

Let's check first if this is an acceptable solution at all, before we start
hacking.

Cheers,
--
sebas