Getting ecm files from the ECM package

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Fri Nov 1 16:47:51 UTC 2013

On Friday 01 November 2013 13:37:56 Kevin Ottens wrote:
> On Friday 01 November 2013 12:53:17 Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> > On Friday 01 November 2013, Kevin Ottens wrote:

> > > My position indeed. I would agree at a "tier 0" if it didn't make it
> > > miserable for third parties wanting to use a tier 1 library in the sense
> > > of "oh by the way you also need that, and that, and that thing no one
> > > else
> > > use".
> >
> > if a package foo uses ecm (or that non existing tier0 cmake package)
> > itself, this does not mean that another package which uses foo, also
> > needs ecm (or that tier0 package) at buildtime.
>
> Well, if the tier 0 package contains the compiler settings for our
> frameworks, it'd mean everything tier 1 and up would use it. The
> alternatives right now being: duplicate the info or have it in cmake/ecm.

Although overall I like the feature Mirko is proposing. I figured out
something regarding that statement of mine just above... For the specific case
at hand, assuming we'd have a tier 0[*] and we don't want third parties to
bother about it either while cloning the repo or while getting a tarball...

Might be a stupid idea but... isn't it something we could inject using git
submodules? It looks like a proper tool for the task.

Opinions on that?

Cheers.

[*] I'm not against that idea per se (never been), I see the value in it. But
if we go for it I want to make sure it's transparent for third parties.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net