Smart D-Ptr in KCoreAddons

David Faure faure at kde.org
Mon Aug 26 11:15:44 UTC 2013

On Friday 23 August 2013 16:37:56 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> > The few cases where I have needed d-ptr hierachies, I didn't know about
> > it in advance but was happy than I could extend my classes without having
> > to use a different smartpointer (with possibly a different size).
>
> Exactly. The *few* cases.
>
> Most of our higher-level code do not use and do not need d-ptr hierarchies.
>
> So far, I've had at least 5 people wishing to be able to use this (even had
> a wish to push it into Qt, which I think would be an over-stretch). The
> code will have users at least in plasma, kwin and kactivities.

Well, if it's so useful, why would it be an over-stretch to have it in Qt?

I see nothing specific to the KDE community in there. Either it's useful to
all Qt developers or it's not...

(to be clear: I'm not vetoing inclusion in kcoreaddons, but I'm still curious
as to why you think Qt would be an over-stretch).

And yeah if this class is incompatible with private class hierarchies, that
fact should be documented in big fat letters in the documentation.